9-Month Mom's Groups
The following studies (displayed by topic) are suggested for a 9-month Mom's Community Groups. You'll find tips and suggestions for leading your 9-12 month group following the curriculum suggestions.
Growth: Training vs. Trying
Recommended Resources By Category
FIRST 4 WEEKS
October & November: Parenting
- Mom Core by Karen Stubbs
- Says Who? by Karen Stubbs
- Make It Count by Karen Stubbs
- No More Perfect Moms by Jill Savage (10 Chapters in 7 Sessions; skip chapters 4, 5, and 9)
*See other great parenting resources below
- Serve on a Be Rich project with your group.
January & February: Spiritual Growth
- Seamless: Understanding the Bible as One Complete Story by Angie Smith (7 Sessions)
- Growth: Training vs. Trying by John Ortberg, Laurie Pederson & Judson Poling (7 Sessions)
- The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer (6 Sessions)
- The Prodigal God by Tim Keller (6 Sessions)
- Kelly Minter Living Room Series (1, 2, 3 John; Nehemiah; Ruth)
- New Community Bible Series
- SOURCE: Abraham (6 Sessions)
- SOURCE: Galatians (6 Sessions)
- SOURCE: James (5 Sessions)
- SOURCE: Jonah & Nahum (6 Sessions)
- SOURCE: Mission (Acts 13–28) (6 Sessions)
- SOURCE: Ruth & Esther (5 Sessions)
March & April: Personal Growth / Felt Needs
- The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst (6 Sessions)
- Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the midst of Raw Emotions by Lysa Terkeurst (6 Sessions)
- Comparison Trap by Andy & Sandra Stanley (4 Sessions)
- Stuck by Jennie Allen (8 Sessions)
- Restless: Because You Were Made for More by Jennie Allen (8 Sessions)
Other Parenting Resources
- Future Family, Message 5: "Our Way, A Way" by Andy and Sandra Stanley
- Parent Unscripted
- Praying the Scriptures for Your Children by Jodie Berndt
- Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys by Stephen James and David Thomas
- 5 Conversations You Must Have with your Daughter by Vicki Courtney
In between studies? Select one of our one-week studies as a way to engage with your group on important topics like giving, serving, and investing in those who don’t know Christ as well as to understand each other’s personalities, spiritual gifts, or spiritual pathways.
ANIMATED SUMMARIES of BIBLE BOOKS
The Bible Project
The following leadership suggestions will help you in leading your 9-12 month group.
- Start your time together with Community: Starting Well in Your Small Group.
- Use the Leader Guide to help facilitate great meetings.
- Using the Sharing Stories Resource will help you get to know one another.
Begin with the end in mind.
- As a group you’ll only get about 26 weeks together (13 if you meet every other week)
- This will allow you to do 3-4 studies per year.
- Be thinking early about who you can invite into leadership. You might invite them to lead a discussion or series, plan a social or an ice breaker.
- Shorter studies are better (6 weeks or less).
- Do a “felt need” early on (related to how to be/have a better ______), and then spiritual/boundaries/growth.
- Try a book or study of the Bible (at least) once during the year together
- Pick two studies back-to-back, to flow right from one to the other
- Consider: “Now that I’ve heard their stories, what do I want them to know?”
Budget your group’s time
- Take the last week of the month off
- Encourage people to connect outside of group during that week
- Try to serve once a semester together
- Plan on meeting about 12 weeks per semester together